Police kill suspected bandit in Berbice shootout – Guyana Times
A suspected bandit is now dead after a shootout with Police in Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne) on the afternoon of Wednesday, September 13.
According to Sooknanan, some four men scaled the fence behind the building and dealt him a lash to his forehead with an object, causing him to receive injuries. He said his hands were then tied behind his back, and duct tape was placed over his mouth to silence him.
Regional Chairman David Armogan has since said that accountants are checking to determine how much cash was stolen. However, he noted that there was money inside the department for payment to about 1000 Government part-time workers, who are paid $40,000 per month. This amounted to $40 million.
Armogan said the Police have advised that better security arrangements be put in place at the RDC building, especially when large sums of money would be on the premises.
However, a rank returned fire in the direction of the fleeing vehicle, in which five occupants had been observed, and suddenly the vehicle stopped about eight hundred metres away. Police ranks gave chase, but before they reached the suspicious motorcar, they observed four persons exiting, three of whom ran to the western side of the road towards the river, while the driver lay on the ground.
When the Police looked into the vehicle, they observed a male seated in the front passenger seat with his body tilted towards the driver’s seat. He had what appeared to be a gunshot wound to the back of his head, and there was blood on the floor of the vehicle. He was picked up, and a handgun was found next to the gear stick.
Police have since identified him as Lawrence Van Lewyn, who has had several brushes with the law. He was slated to appear in a court in Berbice on Wednesday in relation to another armed robbery charge.
The content of this article may have been taken from one or multiple sources. See article title for content credit.